13 Dec 2015

EPP Hexagon Wreath Decoration

Recently I have found myself doing a fair bit of EPP or English Paper Piecing. This involves wrapping little bits of fabric around a template, sewing it into place and them in turn sewing these templates together to create a larger project. Mostly I have just taken a lot of pleasure creating the templates and the intention is to go on to make a large quilt.

However, I felt that I needed a smaller project, something I could complete in under a day. I have seen on my internet travels variation of EPP wreath decorations so thought I would try one of these.


Firstly I gathered up my materials; fabric, ribbon, templates and bells.


The templates that I have used are quite small. 1" across the widest part and half inch across the short edge. I actually brought these in error mistaking them for a larger size, my fault entirely as I did not at the time understand template sizing.


I selected a festive holly fabric that k purchased at Ally Pally this year. It is 100% cotton but also I cannot remember who I brought it from. I cut little square just big enough to wrap around my hexagon templates.


Then on with the stitching. The fabric is folder over one edge, then the next edge and tacked or basted where it overlaps. This is done all the way round and then you fasten off. 12 templates and squares of fabric later and we are ready to start putting things together.


Sew along one short edge, travel the thread across the back and then sew the next short edge. The idea is to create a circular shape with your hexagons. You will need to do this twice so that you have two hexagon circles (is that even a thing?).


Next thread you bell onto a length of ribbon. This is where I found my initially choice of ribbon was too thick, when lead to a minor panic. But panic not, I found some fine ribbon. Actually not ribbon as such, but you know those annoying ribbon tags you get in new clothes, well this is what I actually used. I tend to cut them out and save them......just in case.


The ribbon needs to be long enough to give you a hanging loop, pass through the centre of one side of your devotstion with the bell hanging in the centre.

I sewed the two edges of ribbon together roughly so that it was secure before adding to the decoration.


Now on to sewing the two sides together. Place the basted sides together and sew nearly all the way round (remember we need to add our bell and loop).


Position your bell and loop with the rough join of the ribbon hidden in the hexagon "sandwich". Continue to sew round and at the same time see through the ribbon to secure. Once you have gone round the outside you need to do the same sound the smaller middle.

And there we go, one EPP wreath Christmas decoration complete with bell.


In hindsight the small template I used was very fiddly, but even so I am pleased with the finished result. 

I also opted for leaving the card templates in and didn't trim any excess fabric to much. It gave the finished item a slightly padded feel. Of course you may wish to remove the card and add some stuffing instead.


For further information on EPP I have included a few links:


No comments